Referees in Westborough typically start training in the Junior Referee Program for 12 and 13 year olds and progress to being a referee for the travel program for over 14 year olds under Bays.
The Jr. Referee program is for 12 & 13 year olds in 7th and 8th grade with recent soccer experience. Westborough Youth Soccer Association (WYSA) implemented the program in response to the state level requirement that all referees be 14 or older for travel games. This change left a shortage of referees for in-town (Grades 1 & 2) games and an opportunity for younger referees to gain experience.
Jr. Referees are eligible to referee in-town soccer games in Westborough on Sunday afternoons. Each referee completes about 3-6 games. Only 20 referees are admitted to the program each spring.
Prior to the start of the spring season, each Jr. Referee is required to attend a certification course/session to work in-town. The course is not affiliated with the State Referee program. This will serve as a training ground for 12 and 13 year olds, Westborough resident youth with soccer playing experience interested in becoming travel-level Bays Referees. At 14, referees are eligible to take the State course and receive a Grade 8 Referee License and work BAYS and other league games.
Junior ref. training will include a face-to-face session and several short on-line training modules from USA Soccer Referee training program.
Initially, Mentors will be available at the fields to assist and train the Jr. Referees. Mentors will be other experienced Referees and will speak with Jr. Referees at halftime or when games end to provide feedback and guidance.
Games will be on Sunday afternoon's (TBA) and a rotation will be used to ensure all Jr. Referee's get experience working at the Grade 1 & 2 game levels.
The Jr. Referee's will be paid directly from WYSA at $25 per game. Payment will be made in a single check at the end of the In-Town season.
Registration is OPEN and FREE. Register by logging into your WYSA account.
All referees officiating at WYSA home games are expected to:
- What to do, where to go, what to wear, and when to be there!
- Be at their assigned field 15 minutes prior to a game
- Be in a full referee uniform (shirt (tucked in), shorts, and socks)
- Respond to assignment e-mails within than two (2) days of receipt and phone calls within one (1) day. We will assume you are not interested in the games if we do not hear from you in this these time frames.
- Review assignments when they are posted on this site as the WYSA schedule becomes available
- If you must cancel an agreed upon assignment, this must be done at least two days prior to the assignment. (Of course illness or other unavoidable situation will waive this requirement.)
Referees officiate in two different leagues: Travel (Grades 3 and up) in BAYS, and In-Town (Grades 1 & 2) in Westborough Youth Soccer Association (WYSA).
Be sure you know the league specific rules before entering the field.Bays Level Referees
Review the MassRef course list
for a course for the appropriate age group. Once you have passed the course, send an email to [email protected]
Referees MUST re-certify every year between November - February in order to referee for the new spring and fall season.